Sunday, September 07, 2008

It's Official...I'm Old!

Despite the fact that I have gray hair, go to bed on Friday nights by 10:00, and occasionally complain of small aches and pains I still have considered myself young. I still enjoy trying to look trendy and cute. I sometimes find myself wondering into Forever 21 in hopes that I might find that cute outfit that will help me blend in with all the other young girls out there. However, forever 21 I am not. My old age became increasingly apparent to me tonight as I attempted to watch the MTV video music awards. First of all, I am a huge fan of award shows. Love the outfits, love the performances, love it all. Second, I grew up watching MTV. It is part of my generation. So after putting Isabella to bed I laid down on the couch to enjoy my show. It began with an appearance from Britney Spears. Okay, who cares. Then some crazy hair British guy came out as the host and within about 2 minutes I realized that I was seriously annoyed. His rant about the Republican party bugged me a little, but I proceeded to fast forward through it. Here it comes, first performance...seriously, why does everyone have to act so weird? What happened to good old singing and dancing? And the songs....Kissed a girl? Super Bitch? I can't imagine letting Isabella watch this even when she is older. The annoyingness continued, the performances were tacky, and I was utterly disappointed. Maybe it's time to switch to VHI?

8 comments:

LB said...

I hear ya. Who was that British guy? I asked D the same thing.

We watched a total of 5 minutes and then hit the sack by 9:20.

Carrie said...

Oh noooo, I recorded it and was looking forward to watching it tonight. Oh well, at least now I know that I can just fast forward through it real quick.

Anonymous said...

We'll totally have to have a HUGE discussion about this tonight, because I was SO the exact same way it's funny you posted it about it!! See ya tonight!

Mec said...

Hey Nesa! I happened upon your blog today and I had to leave a comment because I was totally the same way when I watched the VMA's. I had to keep asking the boys who everyone was and then I just got frustrated and had to turn the channel. I hope you are doing well. You have a beautiful little girl. Congrats on the little one on the way! -Mecca

Jennifer said...

Welcome to old age! I think I became old the same year I got married. Just think, in a few years, you won't even know that MTV has video music awards any more... that's where I'm at. I gave up the shopping for cute clothes about 3 years ago - they just aren't me. I realized Matt was old when he started listening to talk radio. My dad always listened to talk radio!

So sad...

- AAA said...

Let me set up my comment by saying that my friend, Jill, and I concluded that we are "old" when we both watched the premiere of 90210. First of all, Hannah Zuckerman was the news anhor chick at the HS. I thought, "Come on, how in the world could Andrea's baby be in H.S." So, I started to do the math...holy crap, the 90210 class graduated in '93, 15 years ago...making Hannah Zuckherman H.S. age. I called to share that realization with Jill (my fellow die hard 90210 fan). Later in the show, she texted me to say, "Is it odd that I relate to the parents more than the kids?" My response was "no, ditto." So, after this, I concluded that I am in fact, old...well, at least oldER.
Now on to the VMAs. I got sucked into the advertisements for the VMAs about Brittany "opening." I assumed this meant that she'd be the opening act...in which case, I want to watch that. Realizing I was wrong, I was already annoyed. Then when the Brittish guy went on and on and on about politics and bashing the Republican party...totally annoyed. Then the comments about the Jonas Brothers' purity rings (not even sure I spelled their name right...another sign of my age) and I turned it off. So, to conclude, I am in total agreement. As the big 3-0 approaches, I've tried to be upbeat and look forward to this new "chapter" in my life. I'm not exactly looking forward to being 30, but I'm glad to be in such good, wise, mature company!! So, here's to being oldER. :)
(Sorry for the length...guess I could have just created a blog).

- AAA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trinidy said...

My XM is now permanently on the Disney channel after the debut of Kissed A Girl. The first time I heard it I was in the car with the girls plus one of Peyton's friends. I freaked and changed the channel and said "well that wasn't really appropriate". They agreed. Later the same day back to the same channel and it came on again! I switched it and said I don't know why she is singing that. Peyton & her friend yelled WHAT? IT'S A GIRL SINGING? In that instant I realized their innocents and how they just assumed it was a boy so I corrected myself and said- oh I meant HE. I'm not ready to explain any of that at age 9!